Go Beyond Guitar Scale Licks with Jennifer Batten
Do you find yourself running up and down the same predictable scale patterns?
Are you ready to play more modern exciting guitar licks?
In Ultra-Intervallic Guitar Licks, guitar legend Jennifer Batten (Michael Jackson, Jeff Beck) takes you on a creative journey and teaches you her incredible techniques for introducing interval leaps into your rock guitar playing.
You’ll move away from mundane patterns and quickly elevate your playing to new levels. You’ll even make the tired old minor pentatonic scale sound fresh and exciting!
What You’ll Learn
Jennifer Batten’s Ultra-Intervallic Guitar Licks walks you through the most important scales and sounds used in contemporary rock guitar. You’ll learn each of the 50 original licks in a musical context, so you’ll immediately get expressive lines to play in any musical situation.
Jennifer covers interval-based soloing with…
- The Mixolydian mode
- Aeolian and Dorian modes for two different minor flavors
- The Ionian mode for major keys
- The Diminished scale and some cool tricks to get the most out of it
- The Whole Tone scale for more outside guitar playing
- The Minor Pentatonic scale… but not as you know it
- Special licks designed to fit blues-rock turnarounds
You’ll begin by drilling each scale via a selection of intervallic exercises designed to program your ears with its unique structure. Even these exercises are totally musical so there is no boring groundwork to cover!
Next it’s time to dive into a series of beautifully conceived licks that teach you how to perfectly apply ear-grabbing intervallic jumps to any lick, in any musical situation.
Ground-breaking soloing approaches to freshen up your guitar playing
Jennifer Batten’s Ultra-Intervallic Guitar Licks demonstrates the ideas pioneered by musicologist Nicolas Slonimsky and adopted by guitar innovators such as Frank Zappa and Allan Holdsworth. Many guitar players understand the concept of playing more intervallically, but struggle with its execution.
This is your chance to have a one-to-one lesson with a guitarist who has mastered how to play intervallic skips to build lines that sound exiting, natural and jaw-dropping.
Guitar Techniques You’ll Also Master Include:
- How to actually apply string skipping ideas musically on guitar
- How to add chromatic notes into intervallic passages – just like Steve Morse
- How to disguise boring scale shapes with bigger interval leaps
- How to use the b5 interval like Jimi Hendrix to create outside-inside licks
- How to create intervallic lines that work over any chord
50 superlative intervallic licks
Along with full notation and tab, Jennifer gives a detailed explanation of how to play each lick and gives you the tools to get creative in your own lines.
- Each guitar lick is broken down and explained in detail, so you understand which intervals are used and why
- Precise detail on how to fret and pick each line
- Discover the thinking behind each line, so you can compose your own licks
- Learn how thinking intervallically can open up a whole new palette of creative ideas